Tuesday 29 January 2013

Chunky Crochet Rug


A thick chunky  colour rug to brighten up cold bare floors! 





This is a pattern for those poor individuals such as myself who are blighted with un-carpeted floors in their home. I got the inspiration for this rug from a pattern  found on an amazing site called The Purl Bee - perhaps you've heard of it? It can be found here: http://www.purlbee.com/big-stitch-alpaca-rugs/ . 

This pattern uses a beautiful thick yarn which realistically I could not easily get hold of, as much as I would have loved to. So I made do with 4 balls of thick gypsy yarn; 1 in multicolour and one in khaki green, as I thought a stripy rug would bring my dull wooden floor to life! 

I used a size 7 crochet hook, and the only skills needed are single crochet (sc) - easy! As it's worked in the round I recommend using a stitch marker to keep note of the beginning of each round (I just used a big safety pin!)

.Round 1 - chain 5, slip stitch together to form ring.
. Round 2 - 12 sc into ring.
. Round 3 - 1sc into next stitch, 2sc into next stitch, repeat to the end of the round.
. Round 4 - 1 sc into next 2 stitches, 2 sc into following stitch - repeat to end of the round.
. Round 4 - 1 sc into next 3 stitches, 2 sc into following stitch - repeat to end of the round.
. Keep going until your rug is the desired size. I changed colour every few rounds or so to make a nice stripy pattern! In the end mine measured about a yard in diameter, but there is no limit!

My thanks go to the team at the Purl Bee for this lovely pattern!

Enjoy!

Emma :)









No comments:

Post a Comment