Saturday 2 February 2013

Yarn Bombing the York Art Gallery


My crochet creations for the York Art Gallery Yarn Bomb!




Now, a 'bomber' isn't a term I'd usually attribute myself to. But when the occasion arose to 'yarn bomb' the York Art Gallery, I jumped at the opportunity! The beautiful building is closing for 2 years and invited the public to come along and adorn it with their own wooly creations. A perfect chance to make use of all these little yarny/materialy things I'm always making!

I'd already made some stuffed material hearts which I needed to get rid of, but thought I'd add a couple of crochet items to go along with them.



One of these was a flower garland, shown here. It was easy to make, and the pattern for this is below:




For the vine:

. With a green yarn, chain as long as required. Repeat twice so you have 3 strings and plait together to make a thicker string.

. For the flowers:

. The more colours the better! I used a 3.5 crochet hook. Begin by chaining 5, and slip stitch together. 
. Into the first chain, chain 2, 3 dc, chain 2, slst into chain. Slst into next chain. Chain 2, 3 dc, chain 2, slst into chain. Repeat for following 3 chains.

For the leaves:
. In a green yarn, chain 5. In 2nd chain from hook, sc, hdc into next stitch, dc in next, in final stitch (2 hdc, chain 2, in 2nd stitch from hook sc, 2 hdc). Dc into next, hdc in next, sc in last. Slip stitch top of leaf together.



I also crocheted a couple of red hearts to go along with it.

Yarn bombing the Gallery was a great idea, and another example of individuality and creativity which makes York such a wonderful place to live :)



No comments:

Post a Comment